Advent resources (2016)
Below this paragraph are links to some Advent resources you can use each week during the season to help you prepare for a joyous Christmas celebration, individually, or with your family, your community group, or a group of friends. If you don't have an Advent wreath for your home, you can find them in craft stores, or you can easily make one yourself. The dinner table is a great place for a small Advent wreath that can be the focus of your family celebrations throughout the season. A few evergreen branches fashioned roughly into a ring shape will work fine as a wreath, and you can use small glass candle bases with taper-style candles, or larger bases for the wider cylindrical candles. (Just be careful with candles around evergreen branches--a fire on your table, while memorable for the kids, and a definite memory-maker, will probably make your Advent season not much fun.) Another useful thing to use with your family, especially your young children, is a child-friendly nativity set, with individual figures for Mary, Joseph, the Wise Men, the Shepherds, the animals, the angels, and of course, the baby Jesus.
- About the Advent season -- a brief history and explanation of modern Advent tradition
- Downloadable Advent calendar
- Resources for Advent, week one (November 27 - December 3)
- Resources for Advent, week two (December 4 - 10)
- Resources for Advent, week three (December 11 - 17)
- Resources for Advent, week four (December 18-24)